Plate of Hope
Older Adult Food Pantry
Northland Shepherd’s Center sits in the middle of the top low-income & low-food access tracts of our area which affects over 3,000 older adults. That number will only be growing in the years to come. With very few food security programs addressing the health and nutritional needs of older adults, we felt it was an important piece to add to our programs and services. NSC is providing a place for older adults to shop in a dignified manner and help supplement their needs, which will enable more adults to stay in their homes and thrive.
A client choice pantry will allow neighbors to shop for the items they most need. Clients will be able to utilize the pantry up to twice a month if needed however, it is by appointment only. Appointments are currently being held on Tuesdays and Thursdays with the fourth Thursday of each month also being the Harvesters Mobile Food Pantry distribution.
NSC General Guidelines to Receive Food
· Clay or Platte County residents 60+
· Self-declared need for services
· Visits can be scheduled twice per month
· 3 business days’ advanced notice of cancel/reschedule will be given when possible
· Willing to complete a Benefits Check Up to determine extra assistance eligibility (i.e. SNAP, Medicaid, utility discounts, etc.)
· Treat other participants, volunteers and staff with courtesy and respect.
· Please do not abuse food supports in the community. This may include but is not limited to utilizing multiple pantries in a given week, reselling of items received at pantry, attempts to return items to a store in exchange for cash or store credit.
Failure to comply with guidelines may result in loss of pantry privileges.
Frequently Asked Questions
Will you require a form to be completed to use the pantry?
Pantry guests will complete a short intake form upon their first visit and be required to provide age verification, photo ID, income verification, and proof of residency (Clay & Platte Counties only).
How do I get an appointment?
For in-person shopping you will need to call or email to schedule an appointment. Contact the Northland Shepherd’s Center Business Office: 816-452-4536
Can I volunteer for the pantry?
Yes! For more information on volunteering. Click here